ICT Helpdesk Technician - Degree Apprenticeship
Application closing date 9am on Monday 18th March 2019
Introduction to Sage Gateshead
Founded in 2004, Sage Gateshead has an international reputation as a new centre for music combining performance, education and participation working across a wide range of musical genres and reaching a broad audience. It is also one of the region’s leading conference centres. Founded with a mixed business model, the charity’s turnover of £15million combines, box office, commercial, fundraised income with public subsidy.
Sage Gateshead Runs:
- Royal Northern Sinfonia, the UK’s only full-time contract chamber orchestra
- One of the largest Music Creative Learning Programmes in the UK
- A Performance Programme of events and festivals across musical genres (folk, classical, rock, indie, jazz, electronic) for 360 days of the year
- One of the biggest conference and events businesses in the region
- A folk development agency, Folkworks
- An iconic visitor attraction, designed by Foster + Partners on the banks of the Tyne with a large public space, three auditoriums and 25 learning spaces.
- A series of railway arch spaces
In 2014 Sage Gateshead completed its first decade. During this period the charity had:
- 6 million visitors
- 1.5 million participants
- 1000 conferences
- 4000 concerts
- £283 million of economic benefit to the region
In 2017/18 Sage Gateshead delivered:
- 446 performance events
- 11,081 Courses, Classes and Workshops
- 101 conferences and events
Sage Gateshead’s success comes from the work of the teams who deliver the objectives of the organisation. Teams are made up of individuals who each bring a different set of skills, knowledge and experience which collectively contribute to achieving team and organisational success.
At Sage Gateshead our ‘People Strategy’ is focused on ensuring we employ people who share and believe in our culture and values. In addition, there is a focus on training, development, succession and career progression within the organisation. This will allow our best people to progress and allow Sage Gateshead to promote internally for future roles.
Sage Gateshead have five core values these are:
Leading – there is excellence in all we do, in the music sector, in the local community and throughout our work
Diverse – in our music and our programme, our audience and our workforce.
Focused – on being professional, commercial and entrepreneurial to help deliver our mission
Creative – in outlook and championing creativity and learning, particularly for Children & Young People, developing new ideas and open to change, in our organisation, our artists, our music and our audience
Responsible – for our decisions and accountable for our actions
Overall Purpose of the Job
We are looking for a competent ICT Helpdesk Technician to provide technical support for all ICT systems operated at Sage Gateshead. The role forms a crucial part of an existing ICT team reporting directly to the Head of ICT.
Acting as the first point of call for all staff seeking technical support, an excellent Helpdesk technician will have good technical knowledge combined with excellent customer service skills.
This is a dynamic role that must continually adapt to the changing requirements of the business.
The successful applicant will be expected to work as part of on call rota and some out of hours maintenance will be required.
Job Title: ICT Helpdesk Technician – Degree Apprenticeship
Department & Team: ICT Department (Operations)
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working Hours: 36 hours on days Mon – Fri On call & out of hours duties when needed
Salary: £17,945-£19,677 (SCP 17-20) pro rata per annum plus £52 per month on call payment
Position in Organisation
Reports to: Head of ICT
Main duties and responsibilities
- Serve as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance (in person/phone/email)
- Manage support procedures for all end line users through the ICT Help Desk
- Ensure timely and effective support is consistently delivered
- React to faults relating to all ICT related Software & Infrastructure
- Determine the best solution based on the issue and details provided by customers
- Perform remote troubleshooting
- Communicate/escalate faults to the rest of the ICT team where appropriate
- Liaise with external support and contractors where relevant
Administration & Documentation
- Review existing support procedures and make suggestions as to where improvements can be made
- Maintain documentation covering core ICT systems and create Standard Operating Procedures for all support processes
- Develop and maintain an ICT fault/solution knowledgebase
Support the day to day running of all ICT Systems
- Become familiar with all ICT infrastructure and systems
- Manage Active Directory user accounts and maintain sensible procedures for the creation and deletion of user accounts
- Manage the creation/deletion of user accounts in core ICT systems for all users
- Ensure routine checks of key ICT systems are carried out and logged
- Ensure that agreed IT security protocols are stringently applied
- Oversee the configuration and deployment of client devices
Training & Mentorship
- Deliver ICT training to Staff
- Act as a mentor for colleagues by providing advice, guidance and feedback to aid their performance.
- Effectively plan and deliver ICT related facilities required for Conferences or Events within The Sage Gateshead
- Ensure external events receive appropriate delivery and support
- Actively seek to improve our offer to external events
- Feedback successes of events and identify areas for improvement
- As and when necessary, work outside normal working hours, for example to carry out maintenance or upgrades or provide support to Events
- Some business travel will be necessary, this may require overnight stays
- Assist the collective workload of the ICT team
- To perform any other duties as reasonably requested
Knowledge, experience and skills required to do job
- A Levels in ICT/Business/Computing
Or a Level 3 Apprenticeship in a similar subject
Or an International Baccalaureate at Level 3 in ICT
Or a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (180 credits)
Existing staff must not hold an existing qualification at the same or higher level in a similar subject
- Previous experience of Desktop Support and supporting IT information systems
- 1 Years’ experience in a similar role
- Good organisational and problem-solving skills together with the ability to operate within tight deadlines.
- An ability to build strong working relationships coupled with a proactive attitude to drive future developments.
- Good communication skills especially when explaining technical matters to non-technical minded people.
- Ability to work as part of a team and assist other members of the team with their roles from time to time.
- Must be able to routinely access hard to access places (under desks etc). Some lifting and moving of equipment is required
- Able to be part of a rota system of On Call and Out of Hours Duties when required
- Windows server administration
- Experience of administering Microsoft SQL server
- Full UK driving license and access to own transport
Terms and Conditions
We believe Sage Gateshead is a great place to work – an innovative and friendly environment, where no two days are ever the same.
The holiday entitlement for this post is 33 days pa pro rata (including statutory holidays).
The salary for this post is £17,945-£19,677 (SCP 17-20) per annum. + £52 Monthly On-call Payment
We also offer subsidised parking for staff members, as well as a discount in our café, and access to a voluntary health cash plan, bike to work scheme, travel ticket scheme and auto-enrol pension.
How to Apply
Applications must be made on a North Music Trust online application form.
We regret that CV’s cannot be accepted. If you have any queries about your application please contact 0191 443 4624
Completed applications should be returned no later than 9am on Monday 18th March 2019.